Friday, March 1, 2013

Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium

Today we went to the zoo! I love zoos, but truthfully I've only ever been to two. I grew up very spoiled with the Henry Doorly Zoo--so that's what I compare to. PDZA is at the tip of Tacoma on a peninsula. The zoo itself is in the very middle of this area (which is absolutely beautiful). First impression--the zoo was smaller and more intimate feeling. A lot the exhibits had glass walls so you felt very close to the animals. The sidewalks were narrower and the landscaping of the zoo was amazing. It was very open and green. Eli and I started at the aquarium. Of course there were lots of colorful fish and a shark tank, but my favorite was a central large exhibit/tank dedicated to species that live in the Puget Sound. There were hundreds of huge fish in there--it was really cool. I like learning about the area we are in. My other favorite area in the zoo was the Arctic Tundra. The first large tank (which you could view from above and below the water) housed enormous walruses. They were older than we are!! Then there were sea lions and sea otters. We visited the Polar Bears too. Overall, very neat experience.

Then Eli and I drove around the park itself. We packed a lunch and ate overlooking the Puget Sound. We were planning on hiking, but it has been raining the past few days and the trails were really muddy. We were a little bummed, but are planning on going back for just hiking. The scenery was so lush and green you almost forgot you were in a city. Such a fun day! (Zoo Entrance; Aquarium; Puget Sound Exhibit; Point Defiance Overlook)









No comments:

Post a Comment